No matter how much you try telling them otherwise, some people will always stay fast to their superstitious beliefs. And this is especially true in the world of gambling, where a jackpot is determined through luck and chance alone.
Since playing slot machines require absolutely no skill, it is quite understandable why so many slots players believe in superstition no matter how irrational it may seem. Here are some of the superstitious habits and rituals that some people do when playing:
1. Wearing a red shirt or any other red apparel increases your luck. This belief might have stemmed from the Chinese, who have traditionally thought of red as a lucky color.
2. Another wardrobe-related superstition: wear the same clothes that you have worn on previous games when you’ve won something big or hit a jackpot. Your luck on that day might duplicate itself again in the present when you’re wearing the same clothes.
3. One of the most common rituals that slot players do is rubbing the machine’s glass while the reels are still spinning. Another variation is to rub the pay table where the jackpot amount is located while the reels are moving.
4. Some players look away from the spinning reels. The origins of this practice is quite unknown though. It may stem from the idea that gazing at the reels for too long might jinx the machine.
5. There are those who believe that numerology can influence the outcomes of the spins. For example, some players avoid the 13-lined slots especially on Tuesdays and Fridays (even more so when it’s the 13th of the month!). Chinese players are very partial to the number “8,” as this is considered a lucky number in their culture. On the other end of the spectrum, the number “4” is considered as unlucky- so they will try to avoid slot machine numbers with “4” in them.
6. Inserting and re-inserting the player card into the slot machine will supposedly trick the machine into payout. Other’s don’t want to use the player card altogether, but this is due to the irrational fear of not wanting to tip the casino when one hits the jackpot.
7. Some extremely superstitious players believe that the temperature of the coin can magically make a machine hit the jackpot. Inserting hot coins is usually what most players do, but others swear by chilled coins.
8. Old-fashioned gamblers carry good luck charms with them. These could be any sort of trinket: a old lucky coin, a piece of jewelry, or a rabbit’s paw.
9. Drinking alcohol while playing is bad luck. But among all the beliefs listed above, this is the one that makes the most sense. Playing inebriated is one of the worst things that you can do while inside a gambling establishment.
Do take note that a slot machine’s outcomes are determined by the RNG (Random Number Generator) that cannot be influenced by external factors. These beliefs will not increase your chances of winning- but if it makes you more comfortable, then by all means, keep your lucky rabbit’s paw by your side while you play.